Saturday 14 February 2015

Seldom do I agree with restaurant reviewers...

... but in this case I'll make an exception.

The insert in a recent edition of our local Saturday paper (yes, we still get a paper & yes, it only has one Saturday insert) contained a less than flattering review of a new 'gourmet' burger eatery.

Not wanting to take that on face value we left it a couple of weeks and went today.

In short, 2.5 stars (from 5) would be a struggling review:

  • Fries - Crinkle cut, over cooked & over salted. 2/5
  • Coleslaw - Tasted like there had been a special on coriander this week & chef needs to get rid of the overbuy. 1/5
  • Wine - Served in unclassy tumblers. Pinot Gris was acceptable 3/5. Chardonnay tasted like remains of last Wednesdays quarter bottle 2/5.
  • My burger - 'Smokey' ordered without the onion wasn't too bad. 3/5
  • SO's burger - 'Standard' burger had no mention of pickles/gherkins in the description, but 3 sizable chunks ended up on the place. 2.5/5
Oh, and the plates... Who needs a lazy susan when these annoying things spun like a dreidel. Cut spin, fork spin. FFS, mildly frustrating.

The new restaurant has opened in the space that has previously been occupied by a couple previous of long-lived establishments. Based on the original reviewer findings, "Nobody lingers here" and our experience, I don't think it'll last the same distance as its previous occupiers.

That's just my opinion. Everybody is entitled to their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments. I know I'm crap, but at least I'm trying.